Tuesday 25 November 2014

Here Be Dragons . . . Again

After all the project proposal shenanigans, it's time to get back to some good proper art!

Returning swiftly to the dragons from Harry Potter, which I quickly sketched a good while ago and have made a lot of progress since, updating the designs, though mostly still at the very sketchy stage.

Regardless of that, I have decided that I really would like to create a sort of size chart of all the dragons from the world of Harry Potter, something similar to the Monster Hunter video I posted near the start of the project, except this will be purely 2D. It would possibly be my ambition to create a book by the end of this project very similar to R.J. Palmer's 'Realistic Pokemon' book, featuring all these dragons and include a couple of other creatures from the world alongside them, as well as showing concept sketches etc.

Without further-ado, here are the updated sketches for all the dragons:


Antipodean Opaleye and Common Welsh Green


Chinese Fireball


Hebridean Black and Norwegian Ridgeback


Hungarian Horntail


Peruvian Vipertooth
 

Swedish Shortsnout and Romanian Longhorn


Ukranian Ironbelly

 Taking these sketches and resizing them into what I felt appropriate for each dragon (just about all of them don't have a detailed size), I created this rough size chart that I must say, I'm really pleased with! I reckon it will look grand once it's got all the final versions of the dragons, neatly drawn and everything.



 My plan just now for my upcoming hand-in is to create a final piece of work based on these dragons. In particular, I will be using the 4 dragons present in the first task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament featured in 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire': the Swedish Shortsnout; the Common Welsh Green; the Chinese Fireball; and the Hungarian Horntail. Here are the 4 dragons side by side in ascale comparison:



In my head, the image will involve the 4 dragons coming towards the viewer, looming over the 4 silhouetted Tri-Wizard Tournament champions, each in front of their own dragon that they face in the lore. With this in mind, I shall start the image as soon as I can so that it can be ready for the hand-in that looms ever closer.

I have taken the 4 tournament dragons and redrawn them more accurately, starting from the skeleton and moving upwards. Layout paper really is an absolute blessing, this would be so much more difficult if I didn't use it!

Swedish Shortsnout - Skeleton

Swedish Shortsnout - Muscles

Swedish Shortsnout - Skin

Welsh Green - Skeleton

Welsh Green - Muscles

Welsh Green - Skin
Chinese Fireball - Skeleton

Chinese Fireball - Muscles

Chinese Fireball - Skin
Hungarian Horntail - Skeleton

Hungarian Horntail - Muscles

Hungarian Horntail - Skin

I have also, using those redrawn versions, created another size chart of the tournament dragons:


I really need to do a better scale wizard, as it doesn't fit in with the nice dragons now!

No comments:

Post a Comment